top of page

The building was developed between two listed façades of the Austro-Hellenic Tobacco Company tobacco warehouses, which were built on that lot in 1928.

Basic guidelines for the study were provided by the building programme, as proposed by the owner and developer GEK S.A., whose design department collaborated with the designing architects in the application study.

The building complex was developed throughout the entire plot of land in the form of a centre building with two wings around an internal piazza / atrium.

Due to the difficulty of supporting the listed façades and buildings on each side, but also the high water table, an attempt was made to construct a four-level underground parking structure utilising a top-down construction method, an innovation for Greece.

The new brick skin underwent through special processing in large-scale stainless steel frames, distributed throughout the entire façade of the complex, highlighting the listed façades in order to create a sense of continuity with the surrounding web of nearby buildings and their façades. 

The interior atrium of the complex was shaped as a piazza, with the round shape of bleachers made of the same ceramic brick as the façades as a strong feature.


Associate Architect: A. Irving  /   Collaborating Office: H. Bougadellis

click to enlarge

24 TOMBAZI, CHALANDRI - ATHENS 15232 GREECE,  TEL. (+30) 68 45 313 - 68 45 335 - FAX (+30) 68 53 930,  EMAIL:

bottom of page